Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres of population genetics.
The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to build on this excellent on-site expertise.
We invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with a love for evolutionary research and a background in one of the following disciplines: evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical or experimental population genetics, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics.
– Adaptation from reduced genetic variation.
– Development of haplotype-based inference methods.
– Evolution from de novo mutations – influence of elevated mutation rates.
– Evolution of sex-specific neuronal signaling.
– Inference of selection signatures from time-series data.
– Long-term dynamics of local Drosophila populations.
– Speciation from standing genetic variation.
– Studying the evolution of gene expression with single cell RNA-Seq.
– Understanding how selection acts on multiple tightly linked variants.
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter, university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single pdf) received by February 15, 2023 will be considered. Two letters of recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees.
All information about the about available topics, the training program and the application procedure can
be found at www.popgen-vienna.at.